John Zappia, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Otology, Neurotologist & Skull Base Surgeon in Farmington Hills
Dr. John J. Zappia is board certified in Otology, Neurotology, Otolaryngology and Skull Base Surgery. He received his medical degree from the University of Michigan. After general surgical internship at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, he completed an N.I.H. funded research fellowship at the Kresge Hearing Research Institute in Ann Arbor. Dr. Zappia completed his Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery training at the University of Michigan and went on to train further in Otology/Neurotology/Skull Base Surgery at the Michigan Ear Institute.
Dr. Zappia practiced in the Chicago area with the Chicago Otology Group and with the department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at Northwestern Medical Center. In 1997, he joined the Michigan Ear Institute.
His basic research work has been on ototoxic effects of medications, cochlear nerve implant prototypes and the effects of cochlear implants on the human cochlea. Dr. Zappia’s numerous publications have included many facets of otology/neurotology including intraoperative monitoring, audiometric testing, treatment of tinnitus, acoustic neuromas, intraoperative hearing preservation, chronic ear disease, and treatment of vertigo.
- American Medical Association
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Oakland County Medical Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Michigan Otolaryngological Society
- American Neurotology Society
- American College of Surgeons
- Steering Committee for Providence Park Medical Office Building
National Board Of Medical Examiners:
- American Board of Otolaryngology
Sub-certification in Neurotology/American Board of Otolaryngology
- Fellow- American College of Surgeons
- Assistant Professor- Northwestern University (1992-1997)
- Assistant Professor- Wayne State University
- Assistant Professor- Oakland University Beaumont Medical School
- Distinguished Service Award- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery